Why can't preschoolers learn some basic science behind color?
Classified: Easy and appropriate for ages 3 and up (depending on how involved you want to get). We used a clover for the St. Patrick's Holiday.
What you need:
- Blue, yellow and white paint.
- Tag board to make a clover stencil
- Paintbrush
- Pencil
- Scissors
- Palette
- Large sheet of white paper
- Glue stick
- Marker
- Smocks, paper towels and such
What to do:
1. Make a large clover tracer out of tag board and either you or your child trace the clover 4 times.
2. Ask "What 2 colors make green?" Give them a moment or two to answer. Praise them for their efforts!
| Mixing blue + Yellow to make green. |
4. Paint one clover that color.
5. Ask "What do you think happens if I add some white to the green?" 6. Add some white paint to make it a tint lighter. My kids got really excited at what they saw.
7. Paint another clover with the tinted green.
| Our drying paintings. |
9. Allow to dry.
10. Cut out and glue onto a piece of white paper (or poster board) to show how adding white makes the color get lighter and lighter.
11. We wrote "Happy Saint Patrick's Day" on ours!
![]() |
| 4 Year Old St. Patrick's Day Color Theory |




This is adorable -- as is your blog! Found you on the McHoppin' Monday and am your newest follower!
ReplyDeleteWould love if you followed back!
http://cyn-thenutshell.blogspot.com/
Thanks!
♥cyn♥
thanks for stopping by. Now following you.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun blog! Following back!
ReplyDeleteGreat job Aimee! I drew out some clovers and I think I'll make some more today but I will need paint =P
ReplyDeleteHave a good day!
I can't wait to try this with my 3 year old. I'm following back from Welcome Wednesday...thanks for stopping by. I also used to teach middle school!
ReplyDeletehttp://jayme-teachablemoments.blogspot.com/